What is an SEO Audit? – Importance, CheckList, and Tools
An SEO audit is a process of analyzing how well your web presence relates to best practices – it is the first step to creating an implementation plan that will have measurable results.
The purpose of the audit is to identify as many foundational issues affecting organic search performance as possible. The SEO audit will reveal:
- Technical SEO issues
- Website structure issues
- On-page SEO issues
- Potential off-site problems
- User experience issues
- Content gaps and opportunities
- Competitive marketplace insights
Some of the most common reasons why you need to audit your site include:
- You just landed a new SEO client and are putting together a growth strategy.
- You started a new job and, like the above, are putting together a strategy.
- You bought a website and want to figure out your next steps.
- You experienced a drop in organic traffic and need to discover why.
- Part of your ongoing SEO strategy includes regular audits to allow you to find and fix issues quickly.
The SEO Audit Tools You Need
You don’t need a large number of tools to successfully perform an SEO audit. Throughout the audit process, you only need just 4 core tools:
1. SEMrush Site Audit Tool 2. Google Analytics 3. Google Search Console 4. Google PageSpeed Insights
SEO audit checklist
If performing the audit without external help, ensure the site is added as a property in Google Search Console and Google Analytics. To perform an SEO audit, follow the steps listed below:
- Identify internal and external link building opportunities
- Identify potential information architecture improvements, such as redistributing internal linking structures or improving the user experience.
- Identify content gaps or content that needs improvement.
- Identify duplicate content
- Ensure web pages are optimized for relevant keywords to improve organic search
- Ensure meta tags are optimized for relevant keywords
- Identify pages to update
- Run a page speed analysis
- Scan for site errors, such as broken links.
- Switch from HTTP to HTTPS to ensure security.
SEO auditing is a crucial process for your website. People who wish to make a blogging career usually believe that popularity and good writing skills are enough for success. This is not true as there are other factors involved.
With an SEO audit, you can discover what is wrong and what you need to improve. With it, you can make your website better and more visible to Google leading to more traffic and conversion.